The current salary of Nigerian soldiers and officers is something the Federal Government should increase without a second thought. This is because these gallant men who wear the Nigerian army uniform put their lives at risk to defend the territories of Nigeria against terrorists like Boko Haram.
Although, the Nigerian army is among the list of strongest armies in Africa due to the various feats and victories in battles it has achieved and recorded since its inception, it is still lacking in terms of being ill-equipped, poor welfare packages and worst of all a poor soldiers salary structure. One thing I have observed among the Nigerian armed forces is that the Nigerian Navy salary structure and Nigerian Air force salary seem higher than that of the salary of Nigerian Army Officers. But as earlier stated, salaries are being paid according to ranks in the Nigerian army from lowest to highest.
According to a report on Naij.com, it stated that the salary for a Nigerian Soldier fighting Boko Haram insurgents is put at N49,000 with daily feeding allowance of N500. Very alarming if I must confess
Below are Full Details on The Salary Scale of Nigerian Army Officers (Commissioned and Non-Commissioned Officers)
A. Salary Structure for Non-Commissioned Ranked Officers
1. Private soldier is paid about N49,000 monthly.
2. A Lance Corporal is paid about N55,000 monthly.
3. A Corporal is paid about N58,000 monthly.
4. The rank of a Sergeant is paid about N63,000 per month.
5. A Staff Sergeant is paid N68,000 monthly.
6. A Warrant Officer’s Salary earns about N80,000 per month.
7. Master Warrant Officer’s Salary is paid N90,000in a month.